Hummingbirds

July 2014

Factoid July 21, 2014

Hungry, Hungry Hummers

Photo by Craig Curlee Photography

Do You Eat Like a Bird? Not Likely.

Most of a hummingbird’s diet consists of nectar and insects. Eating twice their body weight is an impressive feat. What if you drank 2 times your weight in high calorie, sugar-laden soda every day? Enter your weight below to find out how much you’d have to drink.

Funky Nests and BirdSpotter Hummingbird Highlights

Slideshow July 30, 2014

Something Strange About Their Range

Take a Look July 24, 2014

Hungry, Hungry Hummers

Factoid July 21, 2014

Beat the Beats

Interactive July 15, 2014

1. MADELEINE FORTIN says:

I HAVE A HUMMINGBIRD FEEDER WHICH I FILL WITH SUGAR WATER. THE BIRDS LIKE IT BUT THIS DOESN’T SEEM VERY NURISHING. IS THERE SOMETHING ELSE I CAN USE? FRUIT JUICE? HONEY & WATER? SPORTS DRINKS?

THANKS,
    M. FORTIN

2. Emma, Project FeederWatch Leader says:

Hi Madeleine,

Hummingbirds are very well adapted to get the nourishment they need from plain sugar water. They also feed on insects, so receive nutrients in that way as well. Adding things such as honey or fruit juice to your hummingbird feeder can make it more easy for the fluid to spoil, so it is better to offer plain sugar water. Have a look at this All About Birds webpage about feeding hummingbirds: it has lots of great advice!

Thanks for the great question!

3. Lynn H Williams says:

I recently decided to go off fructose(gout suspected undiagnosed but latest study) so I had fruit juices to spare and decided I would put them out in my glass feeders.I put out mango, and cherry with apple juice, along with the usual sugarcane water. They would only feed at the sucrose water.Thinking it might be the cue of colorlessness I went to the grocery and bought corn syrup and put with diluted water next to sugar water. The hummers only drank the sucrose sugar water.

4. Nuri Pierce says:

I live and feed hummingbirds all year and particularly in the spring summer and fall. Rufous hummingbirds are abundant here and as they are very aggressive, many end up as the title holders of many feeders. My question: why do you say they do not breed here? They start to appear around May. Are they finished with their breeding then?
    Unfortunately to feed all the hummers that get here – particularly at the end of the season we would have to be covered on red tubular flowers.

5. Nuri Pierce says:

Sorry I forgot to mention in my last comment, that I live in San Diego CA

6. Obtaining the food needed to live from day to day is a fundamental part of life for birds. Imagine small hummingbirds discovering a large amount of food in one place, such as a feeder. For them a feeder is supernatural. Within a very short time at a feeder, a small, hungry hummingbird can solve its immediate requirements for food.

7. barbra says:

I don’t use white granulated sugar, instead I use organic, natural cane sugar. It does make the sugar water brownish, but the birds don’t mind seem to notice that. Once they get here (St. Louis county, MO) I have to refill them just about every other day!

8. Such calculation will help us to calculate the optimal amount of water we need to drink. This sticking to the standards will help us to control our diet.